Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Why monkey mama?

Seeing as how there's nothing on this site about monkeys, a person might wonder from whence the name Monkey Mama's News came. It all goes back to my first computer experiences, in the early 90's, I guess. I was teaching a particularly squirrelly group of fifth-graders at the time and often called them my monkeys. Hence, I became, to myself anyway, Monkey Mama.

A couple more monkey tie-ins: Probably the first big word I ever managed to read on my own was orangutan, which I pronounced orange utan. (Yes, spell check, I know utan isn't a word, but I don't care.) It was in the guide book to the Cincinnati zoo.

And finally, I just love stuffed monkeys and coconut monkeys! And sock monkeys, and Curious George, and gibbons, and I always wanted a chimpanzee. I even knew (for a short period of time) a person who owned a pet chimpanzee. She managed the laundromat in my hometown, and brought her chimp to work with her. I remember watching it ride around in a cart. It was wearing a little dress and diaper, and I thought it was the cutest thing!

So now you know. Love to all, and God bless. (And by the way, it snowed again today in Kentucky.)

No comments: