Monday, September 24, 2007

My "Aha!" for the day

I was sitting here bemoaning my lack of direction in life, just being retired, nothing to do, no goals to work toward, and this verse came to me.

Philippians 4:11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. (KJV)

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Bible, this verse was written by the apostle Paul. He lived a life with very little reason for contentment, as far as man can see--imprisoned, beaten, shipwrecked, chased out of town, continually moving from place to place...Yet he did his best to spread God's love to the folks he met, either through preaching or writing to them, but most of all by living a life of contentment.

So now my goal is to become content in whatsoever state I am. Kentucky is easy--retirement takes a little more effort. Love to all, and God bless

3 comments:

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

I struggle with this a lot myself. The whole "what am I supposed to do now?" thing freaks me out to the point where it's hard to be content with the daily grind of being mommy, employee, soccer taxi driver, and student. I'd love to just be Jamie's mommy and tell the rest to go on somewhere for a while, but as that's never been the case, I don't see how it could be now.

Love you!

Becca said...

I don't think I ever told you about my laundry epiphany. It was in our old apartment about 6 or 7 years ago, Tom was at work, it was my day off and I was folding towels. It suddenly hit me that this was life, just this, and that waiting for something amazing to come along wasn't going to happen unless I did something to make it happen.

At the time it was a little depressing, since I hate doing laundry, but I think it holds true. At the time, I hated my job, had just gotten this strange new assignment, and was waiting for my leaders to determine what talent they were wasting by not giving me other things to do. I decided I needed to show them what I was capable of doing, and it's worked out rather nicely.

And since I have a nasty habit of turning socks and underwear pink, that may have been the last time I did the laundry.

Lydia said...

Glad to see someone's blogging and doing some encouraging/convicting at the same time.

Soon you'll have something new to post about your grandgirl, too. How fun will that be? Can't wait to see ya, mom!!

Be sure to take some coldxmc before you come down.
(My confirmation word--sounds like a generic form of something.)