Tuesday, July 01, 2008

What's going on?

Well, folks, it's been a while since I actually wrote about current affairs around here, hasn't it? For the last couple of months, David and I have both been dealing with health issues. David dropped a car door on his toe almost two months ago, and the swelling is just now going down (after two rounds of antibiotics). It took almost three weeks before I could get him to the doctor--you know men--but when he did, it was a pretty quick diagnosis that the toe was broken and that infection had set in. The doctor also told him he had to stay home from work until I said he could go back. That was a pretty good feeling, to be in control for a change. I only got to keep him home two days, though, since he and I both decided it was looking better after the second day.

That was all the improvement he got from the first round of antibiotics. It was at a stand still until about two weeks ago, when he decided to get the antibiotics renewed and have another go at it. Now the toe is starting to look more concave than convex, so maybe healing is happening.

After the broken toe, our next excitement (which really wasn't all that exciting) was my first cataract surgery. That went with no hitches, other than having to wait what I considered too long for a twenty-minute surgery. Then there were the little inconveniences of having to sleep with a patch over my eye, and no good adhesive that would not tear up my face when I took it off. (And NOW that it's over, I remember that I have sleep blindfolds somewhere in the house! They would have worked just fine, and don't think for a minute that I'm not going to get one out before the next surgery!) The correction from the surgery was terrific. I am working right now with no glasses, something I guarantee I couldn't have done prior to the operation.

One little bit of excitement that happened that first week after the surgery...We were asleep at 2:00 when our phone rang. Our niece was calling from Lexington--the truck had been towed. She had borrowed our truck to drive to work while her car was being repaired. (That wasn't a bad inconvenience, since I wasn't driving anyway.) After she got off that night, she had gone to a friend's apartment to watch a movie. When she came out to drive home, no truck was there. The apartment complex was really quick to tow "unauthorized" vehicles (ones without parking permits), and the parking permit she had used was expired. She went to pick up the truck, but the towing company would only release it to the owner, who was sound asleep at his house 20 minutes' drive away. And since David wasn't sure whether the truck was in his name or mine, I had to go with him. Guess who wasn't happy to get up at crap o'clock and ride to Lexington. When we got to the towing company, niece came around to my side of the car to talk to me, and David said, "I wouldn't do that if I were you." Interesting night. We were home by 3, but David had to get up for work at 4:30.

That same weekend, we went to Chattanooga to see the grandbaby and her family. That was a great visit. We do love those folks! We spent a lazy Saturday down there, playing with the girl and her folks. On Father's Day, we went to church with them, which was really nice. We enjoy being with them and their church friends. We ate lunch with the other grandparents--the church had a barbecue for all attendees and their guests--and enjoyed watching Grandbaby eating cake and dill pickles.

The week following that, we got word from Chattanooga that the other grandfather had had a heart attack, the Saturday before we ate lunch together on Sunday! He was placed in the hospital on Tuesday after a stress test showed the heart attack, and then ended up having a quadruple bypass that Thursday. Daughter called me to come down and help watch the little one for her.

Not only was Pawpaw in the hospital, but daughter had a health scare of her own. She is pregnant, and a routine ultrasound discovered a possible problem with the baby. She had an amniocentesis right away, and was told she needed to take it easy for the next couple of days. I went down and helped out. By the time I got there, she had already started hauling the current little one around. (Daughter is not a person who likes to be idle.) I was able to help out, though, when we went to the laundromat and caught up about 20 loads of wash! Oh, by the way, I drove myself down there and back, and everything went just fine! (Of course there was no night driving involved.)

Current state of affairs down in Chattanooga: The first round of tests on the baby came back showing a normal boy. Grandfather is still in the hospital, still on a ventilator as far as I know, and things are not back to normal down there, so prayers from you prayer warriors are still coveted.

This past week, we got to go to Nashville to visit our other daughter and son-in-law, which was another great trip. Daughter and I shopped a while on Saturday. Then the four of us joined another couple and their almost-2-year-old for supper at a Persian restaurant. That was a lot of fun--good food, even though it wasn't my normal fare. After the meal, we stood around outside the restaurant chatting until we were all hungry again, and we ended the evening at Baskin-Robbins. Hey, what happened to the 31 flavors? I only remember about 15 at that store, and my favorite, some sort of chocolate raspberry truffle thing, wasn't among them. Anyway. The next day, the other three folks got up and went to church. I stayed home due to a digestive disturbance--probably that Persian food! I got over it after a good nap, though.

Now we're home. I spent yesterday afternoon at the hospital doing volunteer work. Nothing is scheduled for today--I can spend the whole day just being retired! and maybe finishing Sujatha's sweater. Tomorrow is Senior Day at Kroger's, so I'm trying to come up with a list of everything I've been craving. Also, there's a possibility that a bunch of us will be getting together for lunch tomorrow, at a restaurant in Frankfort. We had a similar gathering for supper at Casa in Frankfort on Tuesday of last week, and spent four hours laughing ourselves silly, so I'm looking forward to a good time at this gathering.

I hope all is going well for you. Love to all, and God bless.

1 comment:

Mrs. Allroro said...

I thought that same thing about Baskin Robbins. Nothing really jumped out at me. Uusually there are three or four that I want really bad, and I have to force myself to pick just one.