Sunday, July 06, 2008

The 4th

Our Fourth was pretty pleasant. David and I slept in, then went to Louisville to Libby's for the mitral valve birthday party. That valve is 9 years old this year! When it was time to return thanks before the meal, Jim acknowledged the mitral valve, as well as his "seizure-versary"--it's been a year, and as far as we know, he's been seizure-free for the whole year. Then there was Faye's successful surgery on the 3rd--she wanted to talk to me on the phone, and she sounded really good. We had a pretty good turnout--three of Libby's six children were there with their spouses and in-laws, as well as three grandchildren, two grandchildren-in-law, and a great grandchild, plus the usual assortment of in-laws and out-laws that show up at that little house.

Changes are in store. Next year, Libby and Deck will be living somewhere other than the little house, so the mitral-valve birthday party will have to be held somewhere else. Change is always hard, but as long as folks pretty much stay the same, change of location is really minor. It's fun to hear the family talk about what they want out of the house when the folks move--one grandchild has asked for the living room floor. Can you imagine? She wants to make a table out of it! Funny, but true.

In case you wondered (like anyone would!), the stealth brownies were not a big hit. Since they were chocolate, I left them in Louisville. It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all to hear they ended up in the garbage. One thing that could be said for them, no one could guess what was in them; another thing, they were moist. This year, rather than having a cook-out, we had a taco bar and a potato bar. That went over pretty well. But me, I couldn't imagine the gathering without hamburgers, so I brought a tray full from home. They were a lot of fun to make, something I believe folks would enjoy doing with their kids, and they tasted good, to boot!

Almost enough about the Fourth--we did see some fireworks, some of God's doings, and we heard plenty of pop-pops, as Cora has named them, in our neighborhood when we got home.

The rest of the weekend seems to be going pretty smoothly. I'm in here on the computer, and David is watching (through closed eyelids) some sort of organ/church music program. Later this afternoon, we are going back to church to "practice" for a program of patriotic music out at Dover Manor. Mr. Mac, their resident "chaplain", asked our choir director if she could get the program together, and she said sure. That's at 3:30, so I dare not get comfortable, lest I go to sleep and we don't get there.

I hope everyone's firecrackers went off without a hitch! Love to all, and God bless.

1 comment:

Lydia said...

Mom, you're going to have to make some hamburgers when you come down here. Nobody makes em like you do. I don't know what's different, but they're good! I haven't had one in about 15 years, so I'm do quite a few!