Monday, March 26, 2007

What's new?

I guess it's about time I update this blog. I'm trying to remember what all happened since February whenever it was.

For one thing, I got to spend most of a week with Cora down in Chattanooga. She was sick again, which is bad, but she is all better now, which is good. She and I had a great time. I do love that baby. A highlight of that trip was making it through the roundabout on the second try! I am getting better as I get older.

Then came March. What happened in March? For one thing, I turned 60. David gave me a beautiful opal necklace, which I lost--but we found it again, in a garbage bag. Now I just have to take it to town to get a longer chain. Joann (Plum Tree) thinks just a couple of inches longer would be really good. So do I.

I had nice visits with my girls. Ann and Daniel came up last weekend (March 16-18) to celebrate my birthday, which was fun. They talked us into going to see Amazing Grace at the movies--great movie, by the way. We also had some fun shopping at the Fayette Mall, which I haven't visited in at least six months (not even Christmas!). This past week Lydia, Geron, and Cora came for a visit. Geron installed my new computer, along with a web cam and Skype set up. You techie folks will know what Skype is--I've used it once, to talk to Geron last Saturday.

Last week I finally got around to making the yearly doctor's appointment. My bad--I guess I missed it last year--so this was a biannual visit. Things went pretty well during the visit, but blood work came back all screwy. I had a follow-up visit today and got the news that now I am even sweeter than I was before--I've developed type 2 diabetes. So I am in the process of learning how to monitor blood sugar, what to eat and what to avoid (my doctor says if it even looks like it might have white sugar in it, avoid it), and experimenting with medicines to see which ones will get this sky-high blood sugar under control David says he is going to help me out. We'll see what develops. I really like my doctor, even though he is a veritable whipper-snapper. I think he and I (with God's help) can get through this.

Love to all, and God bless.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i wanted to be funny and harass you about using "my bad"--I haven't heard that term used by a person over 20! ha! i don't know how to feel about you having diabetes, mom. i will be praying for you to learn how to monitor and control it. i will do my part not to tempt you to eat things you shouldn't. if you remember from about 7 years ago, you can eat and enjoy good foods even on a diabetic diet. i have a good friend at church who is diabetic and she brings the best desserts to church. perhaps i can get you some recipes. and another good note--you can lose more weight this way. yea!

so, hang in there, mom, and do your best. i love you!
lydia

ann said...

Oh, Tooz! I'm so sorry to hear about the diabetes! That's great that Daddy's being supportive, though! I have a diabetic cookbook downstairs behind the washer and dryer in a redwing shoebox, and you can have it! Pretty sure you bought it, anyway!

I'm glad you like your computer!

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

I'm so sorry to hear that. Many of my relatives have Type 2 Diabetes. They all use and love Splenda. I use it, too. I can't really taste the difference between it and sugar. I use it for all my baking, tea, etc.

I love you great big bunches, and you are in my thoughts and prayers as you learn how to monitor and control your diabetes.

Big hugs and love!

Becca said...

Whole grains over refined, limit sugar, and watch overall carbs. If I recall correctly, 3-4 servings of carbs per meal (15grams equals one serving) and 1-2 servings of carbs for snacks. Three snacks a day, three square meals, and eat often to keep blood sugars level.

That's what I did for the gestational diabetes, and still try to do overall. The insulin injections were a wakeup call!

I have a really handy book and I'll dig up how to get it if you want it--it give the diabetic exchanges and nutritional information for fast food restaurants so you can make good choices. It includes Subway, Dairy Queen, and lots of other places. If you want it, I'll track down how to request it.

Tooz said...

Becca, I'd like to have that book. I was thinking today about eating out for lunch, but two things stopped me. One was not knowing what to order, and the other was not having any cash in my wallet. So I went home and ate a peanut butter sandwich.