Saturday, June 27, 2009

Wacka Wacka Jing Ding?

When my children were still at home, it was a fad to wear a bracelet with the letters WWJD on it. I have a really pitiful habit of making things up, so bear with me when I tell you what I called those, "Wacka wacka jing ding?" bracelets.

I think more and more of us need to think about those bracelets and maybe start wearing something like them again. I was talking about them to David this morning, chuckling over the nickname, which I hadn't thought of in several years. Probably many of you know that WWJD actually stands for "What would Jesus do?" David, for sure the spiritual head of our house (well, second in command to God, of course), said, "That's not the important question. The important question is, 'What would I do if I realized Jesus were here in my presence?' And the reason is because He is! Amen!"

There are so many times we have a dilemma as to whether or not to do something which is acceptable, either way you look at it. This week I was supposed to go for a consultation with a local doctor concerning a surgery I need but is not life-threatening. Finally, the morning of the consultation, I decided to cancel the appointment. I believe my decision was influenced by the prayers of friends. After I canceled the appointment, I called my GP and asked for his recommendation for a surgeon for the procedure (which I know I should have done in the beginning). He gave me one, and it was not the doctor I had been scheduled to see--nor was it the one I had considered going to for a second opinion! Now I feel relatively comfortable that I made the right decision and have scheduled an appointment with Doctor #3. So much for removing myself from "the horns of the dilemma", which is a nasty place to be.

I don't know if the WWJD bracelet would have influenced my opinion or not. I did seriously think about the impact my cancellation might have on that particular doctor. For one thing, I am reasonably sure he is not a Christian, since he is from a country where Christians are a very small minority--maybe less than 2% of the population. He sees me on a regular basis, and he has already performed some surgery for me, surgery which I feel was successful, and I have referred friends to him. I will continue to go to him after this surgery, so he will know that I had it done. I wonder how I am going to explain to him that I chose to have someone else do the surgery.

These dilemmas are encountered every day. Do I shop here? Do I buy this? Do I allow my child to participate in that activity? Do I punish my child for something she thought was acceptable but I didn't approve? What would Jesus do? More importantly, what would I do if I realized I was in Jesus's presence? For I am! So I guess what I need is a "WWIDIIRIWIJP?" bracelet.

Love to all, and God bless.

7 comments:

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

Love you, Momma Tooz.

Everett said...

My friend Dan once said that even better than asking yourself, "What would Jesus do?" was asking Jesus, "What do you want me to do." I liked that version.

ann said...

I thought Lydia made up Wacka Wacka Jing Ding. Either way, it's funny.

I wonder what ovedinc stands for.

Lydia said...

exuammet, but if I did make that up, which I don't recall doing (although, I don't recall doing many things I supposedly did back in my teen years and I wasn't even drinking or doing drugs) I really believe the bracelet was a good idea. Wish I'd thought more about What Jesus would've done or Had me do back in those days. And I like what Everett's friend said. Its hard to think we could actually do something Jesus would do, but when we think of it as What would Jesus HAVE ME DO, it seems easier to accomplish. I don't know. Whatever the case, I don't think I understand why you chose a different doctor when you said the one you decided not to have perform the surgery had already done one for you before and was good. (It's 11 p.m. and I've been up since 5:30 a.m. so this may not make sense._

Tooz said...

Couple of reasons for choosing a different doctor--the first two operations the first doctor did were on the actual eyes themselves. He is well-qualified in the field of eye surgery. However, this surgery is more of a plastic surgery, and he is not certified nor a board member in plastic surgery. Second reason: when I told my GP I was going to him, he had a visible adverse reaction. I told him I was having cataract surgery, and he said he ought to be fine for that, but... That probably made me hesitant as much as anything. Love you guys.

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

Love you, and hope - whomever you decide to go to - everything turns out just fine.

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

Miss reading about what's going on. It's been over a month, Mama Tooz. Please post!